[Users] Gentoo/Slackware

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Fri Nov 10 02:38:07 MSK 2017

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> If OpenVZ 7 indeed uses a similar system, you can probably copy over
> a few things and monkey-see-monkey-do.

I asked mechleg in the #openvz IRC channel who knows OpenVZ 7 better than I do and for convenience, I'll just paste the IRC lines here:

- - - - -

‎[16:17] ‎<‎dowdle‎>‎ mechleg: You subscribe to the OpenVZ Users mailing list?
‎
[16:18] ‎<‎dowdle‎>‎ mechleg: There was just an email on there with someone asking about getting Slackware and Gentoo working on OpenVZ 7... with the problem that it wasn't configuring the container's networking.  I responded with what I thought might help fix it... but not having a VZ7 system to look at (especially here at home rather than work), I'm just guessing.
‎
[16:18] ‎<‎mechleg‎>‎ no, mostly just skim it when i'm looking for something specific
‎
[16:19] ‎<‎dowdle‎>‎ mechleg: If you have time, look at this thread and see what you think: https://lists.openvz.org/pipermail/users/2017-November/thread.html
‎
[16:28] ‎<‎mechleg‎>‎ looks like right answer, but the location was changed for version 7.  the new location is /usr/libexec/libvzctl/dists/ and they would have to make a template with all the right connections (which I do not remember being a hard requirement, but with recent experience finding it may be at this point)
‎
[16:29] ‎<‎mechleg‎>‎ without the proper template, openvz does not know which script to use so it uses the default
‎
[16:29] ‎<‎mechleg‎>‎ my recent finding is showing that without an installed template, it does not want to do anything
‎
[16:30] ‎<‎dowdle‎>‎ mechleg: How does it determine which scripts to use?  I OL (OpenVZ Legacy) I think it goes by the first part of the OSTEMPLATE= value in the container config... and matches it to a file with the same name in /etc/vz/dists/.  Does that sound right?
‎
[16:32] ‎<‎mechleg‎>‎ with the new templating system, it determines the script to use based on the contents of the template file /vz/template/centos/7/x86_64/config/os/default/distribution
‎
[16:33] ‎<‎mechleg‎>‎ and that string would match a file in /usr/libexec/libvzctl/dists/
‎
[16:34] ‎<‎dowdle‎>‎ mechleg: Mind if I copy the IRC lines into a follow-up mailing list email?
‎
[16:36] ‎<‎mechleg‎>‎ i have been meaning to subscribe to that list, but feel free to send that along.  to make compatible templates, these are the official docs:  https://docs.virtuozzo.com/virtuozzo_7_users_guide/advanced-tasks/creating-customized-containers.html  and also  https://docs.virtuozzo.com/virtuozzo_7_users_guide/advanced-tasks/creating-configuration-files-for-new-linux-distributions.html

- - - - -

I hope that helps some.

TYL,
--