[Users] How OVZ community treats Vz7

jjs - mainphrame jjs at mainphrame.com
Mon Jun 12 00:02:06 MSK 2017

I campaigned to bring Virtuozzo Linux containers to my company, and used
them from 2010-2013, when I left. Naturally I loved the killer features
like vzfs, live migration, the web management console, etc. The tech
support guys in Moscow were top notch, and on one occasion tracked down a
show stopper kernel bug that came from upstream RHEL.

During that time, I also continued to use openvz for side jobs, and while
not quite as nifty as the commercial version, it was still very stable and
capable.

When ovz 7 came out, I started using the beta versions for my own internal
servers - postfix, apache, mysql, bind. Originally it was installed on top
of Centos 7, then vzlinux became a distro on it's own. I've been very happy
with it, and it's been stable here, with the exception of a few problems
which have since been sorted out.

I also have lxc and lxd containers running here, and I find the ovz
containers to be better in my experience, though lxd has been making great
strides to catch up.

As far as the VMs, I haven't ever used the ovz variety. I've looked at the
docs for ovz VMs, and made a few fledgling attempts, but frankly,
Virtualbox is so quick and easy, a no brainer to set up a VM on the odd
occasion that I need to set one up, and quick and easy always wins.

I have not have an opportunity to use the commercial version of vzlinux,
but based on my experience with ovz 7, and the excellent tech support I
remember from the my time using the Virtuozzo Linux containers, I would
definitely recommend it to any employer looking to virtualize their Linux
infrastructure in future.

Jake