[Users] [Announce] OpenVZ 7.0 released

jjs - mainphrame jjs at mainphrame.com
Wed Aug 10 15:02:49 PDT 2016

Greetings,

I'm happy to report that a newer release, openvz-3515, allows me to
successfully choose a partition type other than the default, and
installation is proceeding on node 1.

Will update with any relevant unexpected findings.

Jake

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 6:00 PM, jjs - mainphrame <jjs at mainphrame.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> * KVM/QEMU hypervisor.
>>>
>>> * Guest tools for virtual machines that currently allow the following: to
>>> execute commands in VMs from the host, to set user passwords, to set and
>>> obtain
>>> network settings, to change SIDs, to enter VMs.
>>>
>>> * Unified management of containers and KVM virtual machines with the
>>> prlctl tool
>>> and SDK. You get a single universal toolset for all your CT/VM
>>> management needs.
>>>
>>> * UUIDs are used to identify both virtual machines and containers. With
>>> containers, prlctl treats the former VEID parameter as name.
>>>
>>> * Virtual machine HDD images are stored in the QCOW2 format.
>>>
>>> * Ability to manage containers and VMs with libvirt and virt-manager or
>>> virsh
>>> via a single driver for containers and virtual machines. Libvirt is an
>>> open-source API, daemon, and management tool for managing virtualization
>>> platforms. The API is widely used in the orchestration layer of
>>> hypervisors for
>>> cloud-based solutions. OpenVZ considers libvirt as the standard API for
>>> managing
>>> both virtual machines and containers. Libvirt provides storage
>>> management on the
>>> physical host through storage pools and volumes which can be used in
>>> OpenVZ
>>> containers.
>>>
>>> * Memory guarantees. A memory guarantee is a percentage of container's or
>>> virtual machine's RAM that said container or VM is guaranteed to have.
>>>
>>> * Memory hotplugging for containers and VMs that allows both increasing
>>> and
>>> reducing CT/VM memory size on the fly, without the need to reboot. Your
>>> customers can now scale their workloads without any downtime. This
>>> feature also
>>> enables you to make PAYG offerings, allowing customers to change VM
>>> resources
>>> depending on workload and potentially pay less.
>>>
>>> * Kernel same-page merging. To optimize memory usage by virtual
>>> machines, OpenVZ
>>> uses a Linux feature called Kernel Same-Page Merging (KSM). The KSM
>>> daemon ksmd
>>> periodically scans memory for pages with identical content and merges
>>> those into
>>> a single page.
>>>
>>> * VCMMD, the fourth-generation unified memory manager, and vcmmd, a
>>> single
>>> daemon for managing memory of both virtual machines and containers.
>>> OpenVZ 7
>>> uses memcg. Balancing and configuring memcg limits enables getting the
>>> exact
>>> OpenVZ parameters like overcommit, shadow gangs, swap, page cache
>>> overuse.
>>>
>>> * Container live migration via CRIU and P.Haul. In the previous versions
>>> of
>>> OpenVZ, most operations performed during migration were done in the
>>> space. As a result, the migration process imposed a lot of restrictions.
>>> improve upon migration, Virtuozzo launched the CRIU project aiming to
>>> move most
>>> of the migration code to the user space, make the migration process
>>> reliable,
>>> and remove excessive restrictions.
>>>
>>> * Containers use cgroups and namespaces that limit, account for, and
>>> isolate
>>> resource usage as isolated namespaces of a collection of processes. The
>>> beancounters interface remains in place for backward compatibility and,
>>> at the
>>> same time, acts as a proxy for actual cgroups and namespaces
>>> implementation.
>>>
>>> * SimFS remains in OpenVZ 7.0, however, the support is limited and we
>>> don't have
>>> plans to improve it in future.
>>>

>>> Known Issues
>>> ============
>>>
>>> * OpenVZ 7 includes vzctl from the commercial version. This means there
>>> is no
>>> backward compatibility for the previous version of vzctl from OpenVZ.
>>>
>>> * vzctl will be obsoleted in next version of OpenVZ, consider switching
>>> prlctl or virsh.
>>>
>>> * The full list of known issues and limitations is provided in the
>>> documentation [1].
>>>

>>> Download
>>> ========
>>>
>>> All binary components as well as installation ISO images are freely
>>> available at
>>> the OpenVZ download server [2] and mirrors [3]. The source code of each
>>> component is available in the public repository [4].

>>> ===
>>>
>>> Q: Can we use the binaries of OpenVZ/Virtuozzo 7.0 distribution in
>>> production?
>>> A: Yes.
>>>
>>> Q: Is it possible to upgrade OpenVZ based on 2.6.32/2.6.18 to the
>>> OpenVZ/Virtuozzo 7?
>>> A: Yes! Please follow the instructions in the OpenVZ 7 Upgrade Guide [1].
>>>

>>> Feedback
>>> ========
>>>
>>> Our switching to the open development process is an attempt to work more
>>> closely
>>> with the OpenVZ community. You can help us by sending your feedback to
>>> the
>>> users@ mail list or submitting a bug in case of a serious issue [5].
>>>
>>> Links
>>> =====