[Users] [Announce] OpenVZ 7.0 released

jjs - mainphrame jjs at mainphrame.com
Sat Aug 13 16:16:06 PDT 2016

Greetings -

Upgrade report - all good so far - I'm happy to report that:

After the first node was upgraded to OVZ7-3515, VEs successfully migrated
from the old beta host to the new host
Both nodes are now up and running on  Openvz-3515 and all is well.

One additional comment: All but one of the VEs live migrated - one had to
be dead migrated. This particular VE had ballooned to a size of 48 GB over
the months.

After dead migrating this container and restarting it on the other side, I
found and removed a bunch of core files. At this point it needed to be
compacted, and the documentation seemed to indicate that there was a vzctl
compact option, but it did not in fact seem to exist. The ploop balloon
discard operation worked perfectly however, reducing the size from about 48
GB to about 2.7 GB.

After the compaction, this VE was of course able to live migrate
successfully - at the original size, it was obviously hitting some space or
time limitation. I'd be curious to know what the exact size limit is.

All in all, this is a compelling release, which IMHO still has much to
recommend it over lxc/lxd

Jake