[Users] No FQDN hostname for COS7/RHEL7 containers?

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Thu Aug 6 07:54:32 PDT 2015

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> I know that rhel6 has no /etc/hostname and it was not my question
> unless you wanted to explain that we should not run rhel7/cos7
> containers on rhel6 based openvz kernel hardware node.
> It works as expected, if I remove the lines from the script
> "/etc/vz/dists/scripts/redhat-set_hostname.sh" where the
> /etc/hostname of the container is changed...

Ok, I did some verification on a CentOS 6 OpenVZ host node by creating a CentOS 7 container.  Here's what I found... verifying what you had said.

If I create the container with --hostname {fqdn} the container DOES NOT have an /etc/hostname file... and running the hostname command within the container returns the fqdn.  If I run "hostnamectl set-hostname {fqdn}" inside of the container, that creates an /etc/hostname with the fqdn inside of it... but when I restart... if /etc/hostname exists, it gets overwritten with the host portion only... and the hostname command returns ony the short name.  So... to avoid the problem, don't have an /etc/hostname... but ideally the script you mentioned that is provided by vzctl should be fixed.

File a bug if one does not exist already.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street