[Users] 'vzctl start CTID --wait' hangs

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Mon Jan 13 10:08:46 PST 2014

[ Just for the sake of people reading it: https://bugzilla.openvz.org/2859 ]

>   you mention
> that the original reason for the hangs is the missing lo interface.

Yes, this is what I found with the official Debian 7 templates (that I
will fix soon).

>   In
> fact, on the CT I tested lo was configured properly and up and running.
>
> I should mention that I made the template myself according to the
> instructions found here [1].

Hey, this makes it a perfect example of how to NOT file bug reports! ;-)

>   When you mentioned the scripts
> in /etc/init/ I found that all our flawlessly running Debian 6 CTs don't
> have this folder at all. I removed it completely also in the Debian 7 CT
> and from then on I was able to start it flawlessly with the --wait flag.

Good that you have mentioned it, now I see that /etc/init existence doesn't
mean we have upstart, so we have to patch /etc/inittab regardless.

Will fix vzctl accordingly soon.

> I wonder about two things:
> * How important are those scripts in /etc/init, considering that I was
> running Debian CTs for years without them?

This is standard upstart directory. Upstart can be used used instead of
sysvinit.
Google for debian upstart for more details.

> * How did that folder /etc/init sneak into my self-made Debian 7
> template?

Perhaps dpkg -S can shed some light? I observe this
on one of my Debian boxes (not running upstart):

root at kir-deb71-ovz:~# dpkg -S /etc/init
sysvinit-utils, ifupdown, udev: /etc/init

>   /etc/init/ isn't a standard path in Debian.

Apparently it is (if you choose to use upstart).