[Users] 'vzctl start CTID --wait' hangs

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 01:20:33 PST 2014

On Wed, 2014-01-08 at 23:57 -0800, Kir Kolyshkin wrote:
> On 01/08/2014 08:36 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > When I start Debian 7 containers with the '--wait' option, it does start
> > the CT, but the vzctl command never returns. The same works fine with
> > Debian 6 containers.
> >
> > I figured that 'vzctl start CTID --wait' usually adds a line to the
> > CT's /etc/inittab:
> >
> > vz:2345:once:touch /.vzfifo
> >
> > However, such a line is never added to Debian 7 CTs. On Debian 6 CTs,
> > this line is automatically added whenever the CT is started, even if it
> > has been removed manually.
> >
> > A work-around is to add the line manually to /etc/inittab, but I still
> > wonder why the automatism doesn't work for Debian 7 CTs.
> >
> Please file a bug for vzctl, I will take a look soon.

Thanks for addressing this issue. In your notes on bugzilla you mention
that the original reason for the hangs is the missing lo interface. In
fact, on the CT I tested lo was configured properly and up and running.

I should mention that I made the template myself according to the
instructions found here [1]. When you mentioned the scripts
in /etc/init/ I found that all our flawlessly running Debian 6 CTs don't
have this folder at all. I removed it completely also in the Debian 7 CT
and from then on I was able to start it flawlessly with the --wait flag.

I wonder about two things:
* How important are those scripts in /etc/init, considering that I was
running Debian CTs for years without them?
* How did that folder /etc/init sneak into my self-made Debian 7
template? /etc/init/ isn't a standard path in Debian.

Roman

[1] http://openvz.org/Debian_template_creation