[Users] 'vzctl start CTID --wait' hangs

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Mon Jan 13 11:03:51 PST 2014

On 01/13/2014 10:08 AM, Kir Kolyshkin wrote:
> On 01/13/2014 01:20 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

>>> Please file a bug for vzctl, I will take a look soon.
>> Thanks for addressing this issue. In your notes on bugzilla
>
> [ Just for the sake of people reading it:
> https://bugzilla.openvz.org/2859 ]
>
>>   you mention
>> that the original reason for the hangs is the missing lo interface.
>
> Yes, this is what I found with the official Debian 7 templates (that I
> will fix soon).
>
>>   In
>> fact, on the CT I tested lo was configured properly and up and running.
>>
>> I should mention that I made the template myself according to the
>> instructions found here [1].
>
> Hey, this makes it a perfect example of how to NOT file bug reports! ;-)
>
>>   When you mentioned the scripts
>> in /etc/init/ I found that all our flawlessly running Debian 6 CTs don't
>> have this folder at all. I removed it completely also in the Debian 7 CT
>> and from then on I was able to start it flawlessly with the --wait flag.
>
> Good that you have mentioned it, now I see that /etc/init existence
> doesn't
> mean we have upstart, so we have to patch /etc/inittab regardless.
>
> Will fix vzctl accordingly soon.

Can you test this patch?

http://git.openvz.org/?p=vzctl;a=commit;h=9a2a60f7f

You can either build and install it yourself:

  git clone git://git.openvz.org/vzctl
  cd vzctl && ./autogen.sh && ./configure && ./setver -U

Alternatively, I just build packages for you to test:

http://download.openvz.org/utils/nightlies/vzctl/4.6.1-6.g9a2a60f/

More info on test builds are at http://openvz.org/Download/vzctl/nightly