[Users] Re: vzmigrate as backup

Aleksandar Ivanisevic aleksandar at ivanisevic.de
Tue Sep 18 05:18:52 EDT 2012

Joseph Hauptmann
<joseph.hauptmann at digiconcept.net> writes:

> Hi Mark,
>
> I miss that feature as well! That combined with NOT having to use a
> passwordless root ssh-certificate (whats wrong with providing ssh/rsync
> the password via a prompt?) would be great! Currently I use vzdump and
> vzrestore for that purpose of cloning to a different machine - beware
> that the target machine should not have the VPSID of the source.

Just do a rsync of the private area, followed by vzctl chkpnt VEID
--suspend, followed by another rsync and then vzctl chkpnt VEID
--resume, thats what the vzmigrate is doing anyway. Don't forget to copy
over veid.conf, too.

wiki has a good page how it all woerks at
http://wiki.openvz.org/Checkpointing_and_live_migration