[Users] How-to upgrade a Ubuntu-8.04 LTS VE to a 10.04 VE?

Josip Rodin joy at entuzijast.net
Thu Feb 10 14:36:22 EST 2011

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 08:34:03PM -0800, Michael Chinn wrote:
> The upgrade process produced some error such as:
>
> Setting up makedev (2.3.1-89ubuntu1) ...
> /sbin/MAKEDEV: warning: can't read /proc/devices
> /sbin/MAKEDEV: warning: can't read /proc/devices
> /sbin/MAKEDEV: warning: can't read /proc/devices

This stuff may be inconsequential... Did dpkg abort here or was this just
stderr output you noticed?

> Setting up klogd (1.5-5ubuntu4) ...
> Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/klogd ...
>  * Stopping kernel log daemon...
>  * Starting kernel log daemon...
>     [     fail]

What does this machine's syslog say about klogd failing?
Read it through /var/lib/vz/root/1041/var/log/syslog or similar.

> Unable to open pty: No such file or directory
>
> And from: http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=34305
>
> I tried this fix:
> #vzctl exec 1041 'dpkg --force-depends --purge udev'
> #vzctl exec 1041 update-rc.d -f udev remove
> #vzctl restart 1041
> #vzctl enter 1041
> enter into VE 1041 failed
> Unable to open pty: No such file or directory

You removed udev, which controls /dev entries (wrongly in a VE, I guess),
but once you get rid of it, we're still not sure if the static /dev entries
got back in place, esp. if it's not working.

The linked bug report indicates that vzctl enter needs /dev/ptyp0. Can you
list the contents of the /var/lib/vz/root/1041/dev directory and see if it's
there now? If not, run "vzctl exec 1041 /sbin/MAKEDEV ptyp" and see if that
creates it?

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.