[Users] How-to upgrade a Ubuntu-8.04 LTS VE to a 10.04 VE?

Michael Chinn miguel.chinn at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 23:34:03 EST 2011

Josip,

Thanks for the note.

I tried to follow the CLI based procedure to upgrade 8.04 to 10.04. This
procedure was of course meant for upgrading a workstation/server not a
VE/VPS. As an experiment, I tried the following on a test 8.04-LTS VE:

#sudo apt-get install update-manager-core
#sudo nano /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades

   set Prompt=lts

#sudo do-release-upgrade -d

The upgrade process produced some error such as:

Setting up makedev (2.3.1-89ubuntu1) ...
/sbin/MAKEDEV: warning: can't read /proc/devices
/sbin/MAKEDEV: warning: can't read /proc/devices
/sbin/MAKEDEV: warning: can't read /proc/devices

and

Setting up klogd (1.5-5ubuntu4) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/klogd ...
  * Stopping kernel log daemon...
  * Starting kernel log daemon...
                                              [     fail]

And then when I attempt to SSH in...

#vzctl enter 1041
enter into VE 1041 failed
Unable to open pty: No such file or directory

I tried to apply this fix to this error:

# vzctl exec 1041  /sbin/MAKEDEV tty
/sbin/MAKEDEV: warning: can't read /proc/devices

And from: http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=34305

I tried this fix:
#vzctl exec 1041 'dpkg --force-depends --purge udev'
#vzctl exec 1041 update-rc.d -f udev remove
#vzctl restart 1041
#vzctl enter 1041
enter into VE 1041 failed
Unable to open pty: No such file or directory

No other fixes I found can seem to revive this VE.  And it seems like
migrating/copying the data from the 8.04 VE's to 10.04 VE's is a more
straight-forward means of upgrading...

So, this is what I meant when I asked if there was a definitive,
recommended procedure to upgrade an 8.04 VE to a 10.04 VE.

Mike

--
Michael Chinn

Miguel.Chinn at Gmail.com