[Users] How-to upgrade a Ubuntu-8.04 LTS VE to a 10.04 VE?

Michael Chinn miguel.chinn at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 19:07:03 EST 2011

On 02/10/2011 11:36 AM, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 08:34:03PM -0800, Michael Chinn wrote:
>> The upgrade process produced some error such as:
>>
>> Setting up makedev (2.3.1-89ubuntu1) ...
>> /sbin/MAKEDEV: warning: can't read /proc/devices
>> /sbin/MAKEDEV: warning: can't read /proc/devices
>> /sbin/MAKEDEV: warning: can't read /proc/devices
>
> This stuff may be inconsequential... Did dpkg abort here or was this just
> stderr output you noticed?

No, this was stderr I noticed

>> Setting up klogd (1.5-5ubuntu4) ...
>> Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/klogd ...
>>   * Stopping kernel log daemon...
>>   * Starting kernel log daemon...
>>      [     fail]
>
> What does this machine's syslog say about klogd failing?
> Read it through /var/lib/vz/root/1041/var/log/syslog or similar.
>
>> Unable to open pty: No such file or directory
>>
>> And from: http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=34305
>>
>> I tried this fix:
>> #vzctl exec 1041 'dpkg --force-depends --purge udev'
>> #vzctl exec 1041 update-rc.d -f udev remove
>> #vzctl restart 1041
>> #vzctl enter 1041
>> enter into VE 1041 failed
>> Unable to open pty: No such file or directory
>
> You removed udev, which controls /dev entries (wrongly in a VE, I guess),
> but once you get rid of it, we're still not sure if the static /dev entries
> got back in place, esp. if it's not working.
>
> The linked bug report indicates that vzctl enter needs /dev/ptyp0. Can you
> list the contents of the /var/lib/vz/root/1041/dev directory and see if it's
> there now? If not, run "vzctl exec 1041 /sbin/MAKEDEV ptyp" and see if that
> creates it?

Josip,

Thank you very much for your suggestions.  I think the amount of
thrashing (detective work) done so far to problem-solve this seems to
indicate that there is no clean LTS distribution upgrade for this VE.

I think I'll spare my cycles and instead migrate the data on the 8.04
VE's to 10.04 VE's.  Thank you.