[Users] quota file not compatible between OpenVZ 32 and 64 bits.

Solar Designer solar at openwall.com
Thu Apr 22 06:11:17 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 11:47:41AM +0200, frank wrote:
> we have a two node Red Hat 5.4 cluster with openVZ. They use 32bit
> kernel but because hardware is 64bit, our intention is to migrate them
> to 64 bit operating system. We have tried the migration on a test
> cluster, migrating first only one of the nodes. After some tests, we
> have realized that quota file differs between versions, so to start the
> same VE in the other node, quota file must be droped an re-created.
>
> Could you confirm this?

Confirmed.

> Any tip to workaround this?

You need to drop the old quota files - just move them out of the way.
You also need to install a 64-bit build of vzquota before trying to
start your containers up with the new kernel.  If your host system lacks
/lib64, you need to add that too.  With all of these bits in place, it
should work - it did with a similar upgrade for us.

Alexander