[Users] Re: Firewall on HN or VE?

Suno Ano suno.ano at sunoano.org
Thu Jul 9 16:50:10 EDT 2009

 Greg> Hi, On one server setup with proxmox i intent to have 4 VE (web,
 Greg> dns, mysql, mail). I guess i'll have 1 IP for each VE. Concerning
 Greg> the firewall i'm thinking of configuring iptables but my concern
 Greg> is to do it on HN or on each VE. I'm looking for best way to do
 Greg> it so your ideas are more than welcome.

if the VEs can be trusted i.e. you own/run them, then I recommend
putting the filter task on the HN only because it is way easier to
maintain and set up. Here is what I do

http://sunoano.name/ws/public_xhtml/firewall.html#sunos_rule_set_and_how_it_is_applied

As you can see, I like reusable and automatic therefore I wrote myself
packet_filter, a script to feed rules to netfilter/iptables.