[Users] Firewall on HN or VE?

Roberto Mello roberto.mello at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 16:52:23 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Greg <parism70 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>  On one server setup with proxmox i intent to have 4 VE (web,
> dns, mysql, mail). I guess i'll have 1 IP for each VE. Concerning the
> firewall i'm thinking of configuring iptables but my concern is to do it on
> HN or on each VE. I'm looking for best way to do it  so your ideas are
> more than welcome.

Be careful with the temptation to split everything into its own VE. There
are costs to maintain VEs: updating packages, firewall rules, resource
maintenance, etc.

If these services are going to be used and maintaned by different users,
then go ahead. Otherwise, be sure you understand the consequences.

Roberto