[Users] Some questions about veth devices in OpenVZ

santi at usansolo.net santi at usansolo.net
Thu Sep 11 08:52:24 EDT 2008

Dear Srs,

I need to setup a veth device inside a CT to install a DHCP server.. but I
have some problems/questions with veth devices in OpenVZ:

- I want to set up a veth for a CT, I need a dedicated NIC for each CT? For
example, hardware node has two NICs: eth0 and eth1. eth0 has public IP and
is connected to internet, I want to enable veth for a CT, can I use eth0 or
I sould use eth1?

- After enabling veth for a CT I try to setup the *public* IP inside the CT
into the eth0 device, using ifconfig and route but I can ping the CT, can I
use *public* IP inside the CT veth? According to the Wiki it's use a
private IP:

* CT0:

# vzctl set 3001 --netif_add eth0 --save

* Into the CT:

# ifconfig eth0 a.b.c.d netmask 255.255.255.0 up
# route add default gw a.b.c.1 eth0

Thanks!

--
Santi Saez