[Users] running with no limits?

Steve Wray steve.wray at cwa.co.nz
Wed Jul 9 18:08:44 EDT 2008

Benoit Branciard wrote:
> Steve Wray a écrit :
>> No answers? Its been a while...
>>
>> We have a bunch of openvz VMs, nothing 'in production'. The host has
>> 4G of RAM. I want all the VMs to have access to 4G of RAM and all the
>> sockets and other stuff that they may need at any time; I don't have
>> time to carefuly tune the parameters of all of them to just what they
>> need and no more.
>>
>> I don't mind or care that they are over-committed I just want them to
>> have max resources.
>>

> vzsplit -n 1 -f max-limits
>
> then for each container NNN:
> vzctl set NNN --applyconfig max-limits --save

Fantastic, thanks guys.

The thing is that almost all of the time almost all of these VMs will be
unused. But when they are used they can use a lot of resources.

However, stopping and starting them as they are needed isn't an option.
I need to have them all running at all times.

Unfortunately, the applications running on them can behave quite
mysteriously when things like tcpsndbuf hit a limit.

And I've seen some very very strange behavior out of applications when
these limits get hit... its been truly baffling sometimes!