[Really SOLVED] Re: [Users] How to kill dead container (init is dead)

Pongracz Istvan pongracz.istvan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 02:15:02 EDT 2008

2008. 08. 3, vasárnap keltezéssel 23.53-kor Pongracz Istvan ezt írta:

> Hi,
>
> Thank you for your help!
> I found something about the vixie-cron + ssmtp incompatibility on the
> net.

Bingo.

> When I start the script manually, it is working well everytime.
> But when it started from cron, it failed, almost in 100%.
>
> Some tests are still running...... I will report again :)

Hi All,

After several days I can confirm, the problem is gone.
vzdump succeed every night.

<background for the search engines>
The basic problem was, vixie-cron and ssmtp have problems if they are
working together.
I run several maintenance tasks regularly on the hardware node, such as
daily backup with vzdump, logwatch, check rootkits etc.
I want to see email reports about that, so, I need a 3rd party rescue
smtp server. I choosed gmail with ssmtp.
I expected, vzdump cannot complete its task and I got stopped container
etc.
</background for the search engines>

I changed my mail transport from ssmtp (via gmail) to postfix (via
gmail) in the hardware node.

Now the cron is able to send email even about long-run scripts.

So, in my case, the postfix + vixie cron in my gentoo box (HN) is
working well.
I get all reports from my systems.

Anyway, I guess, if I suppress all output from cron (every output
redirected to /dev/null) ssmtp should work too, but I did not and I will
not test it. I am happy with postfix.

Have a nice weekend,
István
--