[Users] /dev/fd/3

Gregor Mosheh gregor at hostgis.com
Mon Aug 13 13:58:36 EDT 2007

> A program in a VE is complaining that it can't open /dev/fd/3
>  From reading, it appears that this is the equivalent of asking to open
> something with a file descriptor of 3.  So I guess that the devices
> option on vzctl isn't going to help me here.

Indeed. It sounds like a problem within the program. Something's causing
a file descriptor to not be opened, and the program isn't performing
sufficient error-checking. Cuz I know one can open file descriptors at will!

Or perhaps your VE has maxed out the number of FDs it's allowed to have?
Check the /proc/user_beancounters and see if anything there is happening
to shed light on whether the failure is VE-related.

> I also find that whilst I have made /dev/hdc available to my VE, I can't
> mount the cdrom.  It tells me
> mount: unknown filesystem type 'udf'
> mount: unknown filesystem type 'iso9660'

For a CDROM, iso9660 is usually appropriate. Are you sure that that
module is already loaded in the hardware node? A lot of distros leave
iso9660 as a module and VEs cannot load kernel modules.

Do a "modprobe iso9660" in the HN, to ensure that the module is loaded.
Then try mounting the CD in the VE.

--
Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth
System Administrator, HostGIS cartographic development & hosting services

  only if you can restore." - AMANDA