[Users] Re: can access vps from server not from network

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Tue May 16 18:36:20 EDT 2006

(1) From inside VE, you do not need to configure any sysctl parameters.

(2) Probably the reason why you can not reach any hosts from inside VE
is you forgot to set VE's nameserver. Please do the following:
a. on the host system, check your nameserver(s) IP address(es):
# grep nameserver /etc/hosts
It should print one or more lines in the form
nameserver x.x.x.x
where x.x.x.x is an IP address.
b. Set that (those) address(es) to be VE's nameserver(s):
# vzctl set VEID --nameserver x.x.x.x [--nameserver y.y.y.y] --save

In fact, just one nameserver should be sufficient.

(3) For the next time, please provide more details. Here you wrote:

> cannot ping or wget anyfile while inside the VPS.

It would be great to show some examples here. Say, if nameserver is not
set, the error from ping or wget would be like "Temporary failure in
name resolution" or "Unable to resolve hostname xxxx.tld". Since you do
not give details here, we have to guess.

Regards,
  Kir.