[Users] Re: can access vps from server not from network

abhishek jain mail at ejain.com
Tue May 16 14:07:36 EDT 2006

>>On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 08:08:14AM +0530, abhishek jain wrote:
>> Hi,
> >I add vps via the process listed at quick install guide, i can access the
>> vps via the server on which it is hosted , but when accessing from
outside
>> using the assigned IP i access the server and not the VPS.
>> I can see the ip assigned to VPS in /sbin/ifconfig of the server.

>Make sure
>
># sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward
>
>prints 1. If it doesn't, set it with

># sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

>To have it set on every boot you need to tweak a config file depending
>on the distro you're using. E.g. for RedHat-based distros (RHEL,
>Fedora, CentOS) this is /etc/sysctl.conf.
>
>IIRC this is mentioned in the installation guide.

>Roman.

hi,
Actually the problem solved by deleting the IP from the main system.
Now another problem arised that i can access the VPS from outside but cannot
ping or wget anyfile while inside the VPS.
I see the document and it was written

sysctl –w net.ipv4.tcp_ecn=0

I did this both on the VPS and in the Server still no result.

Also i get the following error when i start the network while inside the
VPS :

[root at server ~]# /etc/init.d/network restart
Shutting down interface venet0:                            [  OK  ]
Shutting down loopback interface:                          [  OK  ]
Setting network parameters:  net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
error: unknown error 1 setting key 'net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter'
error: unknown error 1 setting key '
net.ipv4.conf.default.accept_source_route'
error: unknown error 1 setting key 'kernel.sysrq'
error: unknown error 1 setting key 'kernel.core_uses_pid'
                                                           [FAILED]
Bringing up loopback interface:                            [  OK  ]
Bringing up interface venet0:                              [  OK  ]

This Failed line appears.

Pl. help,
Thanks,
Abhishek jain