[Devel] RE: Container Test Campaign

Marc E. Fiuczynski mef at CS.Princeton.EDU
Fri Jun 23 00:40:45 PDT 2006

Hi Sam,

> One area it would be interesting to see benchmarks for is the
> performance impact of filesystem unification and a lot of vservers -
> for instance, a system with 10 vservers, each running apache and
> actively serving pages, I'd expect to see more cache hits at the L2
> and/or L3 CPU cache layers on account of the fact that, eg, C
> libraries are not being paged out to load in other (identical) C
> libraries.

We can try this with our SPECWEB'99 benchmark.  Our current setup does not
use FS unification.

> My guess is that you just can't leverage that kind of benefit from a
> hypervisor approach, but I don't really know enough about how they
> work under the hood to be able to say.

Right, our current benchmark shows that even w/o the benefit of FS
unification that a container-based approach (in our case vserver) still
significantly outperforms Xen on both SPECWEB'99 and OSDB benchmarks.
Please take a peek at our evaluation sections in the paper that I forwarded
before.

Marc