[Devel] Re: Container Test Campaign

Sam Vilain sam.vilain at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Jun 22 20:40:49 PDT 2006

Marc E. Fiuczynski wrote:
> Hello Clement,
>
> Sorry for the late response, as I have been on vacation.
>
> We are interested in this test campaign.  Our work so far has
> focused on performance, scalability, and isolation properties of
> vserver compared with xen.  My guess is that you cc'd me due to the
> posting of our paper comparing vserver with xen (attached for those
> of you who have not seen it yet).  In what way can be
> participate/contribute (i.e., where do we start)?  We could share
> our test setup (except SpecWeb 99) that we used for our paper with
> everyone. Also, we'd appreciate if the folks participating in this
> test campaign could skim our paper and give us some feedback wrt
> the evaluation section and the appendix where we describe in
> reasonable the kernel vars, lvm partition setup, etc., we've used
> to eliminate differences between systems.

One area it would be interesting to see benchmarks for is the
performance impact of filesystem unification and a lot of vservers -
for instance, a system with 10 vservers, each running apache and
actively serving pages, I'd expect to see more cache hits at the L2
and/or L3 CPU cache layers on account of the fact that, eg, C
libraries are not being paged out to load in other (identical) C
libraries.

My guess is that you just can't leverage that kind of benefit from a
hypervisor approach, but I don't really know enough about how they
work under the hood to be able to say.

Sam.