[Devel] Re: Container Test Campaign

Cedric Le Goater clg at fr.ibm.com
Thu Jun 22 14:39:16 PDT 2006

Marc E. Fiuczynski wrote:

> Sorry for the late response, as I have been on vacation.

a good thing indeed :)

> We are interested in this test campaign.  Our work so far has focused on
> performance, scalability, and isolation properties of vserver compared with
> xen.  My guess is that you cc'd me due to the posting of our paper comparing
> vserver with xen (attached for those of you who have not seen it yet).

yes.

> In what way can be participate/contribute (i.e., where do we start)?  We could
> share our test setup (except SpecWeb 99) that we used for our paper with
> everyone. Also, we'd appreciate if the folks participating in this test
> campaign could skim our paper and give us some feedback wrt the evaluation
> section and the appendix where we describe in reasonable the kernel vars,
> lvm partition setup, etc., we've used to eliminate differences between
> systems.

OK, first half is great. Not finished yet but some of your results confirm
ours : vserver is great, openvz will be great, xen overhead is important
and does not scale as well. What we expect from you is also feedback on the
test and their environment to make sure they are relevant.

Xen is not our major focus but if we have time we'll torture it a bit.

thanks,

C.