[Debian] Re: Possible support for openvz also in the next version of stable

Ola Lundqvist ola at inguza.com
Fri Jan 27 12:23:25 EST 2012

Hi Ben

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 03:58:02PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-01-26 at 02:35 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > I thought we had declared both OpenVZ and VServer as deprecated in
> > squeeze, but I misremembered - in fact only VServer was deprecated.
> > Therefore I think we need to make a decision regarding OpenVZ in wheezy,
> > fairly soon; then, if we do not reinstate it, we must announce that
> > decision.
> [...]
>
> Sorry, my original memory was correct.  At the team meeting in 2009 we
> did not decide to deprecate OpenVZ, but later on we did so.  This was
> stated in the release notes for 'squeeze':
>
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#deprecated

Thanks a lot for that information. I had a vauge memory of such a decision
myself.

> Therefore, I would say there is no chance of OpenVZ being reinstated in
> a Debian stable release.

Ok, I understand. Well in that case we do not have so much choice.

I guess this fits quite well with what Pavel describes that they have a
problem to maintain (and develop) a kernel before 3.4 release of the
kernel.org kernel.

> My offer of help in setting up an OpenVZ APT repository still stands.

I thank a lot for that offer. Where would we have that repository in that
case? The openvz project have a (debarchiver based) repository at
http://ftp.openvz.org/debian. It is only for etch but can easily be changed
to include later versions. It was set up for how it was at the time when
there were no Debian maintained kernels with openvz patches.

The best (from an user trust point of view I guess) would be that we have
the repository somewhere on the debian machines, but there is no problem to
keep having a repository in the openvz ftp. I have no problem to help you
with the maintenance of such a repository (I guess).

The repository would most likely include the "alienized" rhel6 versions
of the kernel. I guess such packages can not be included in the main
repository. Or would that be an option?

Thanks,

// Ola

> Ben.
>
> --
> Ben Hutchings
> Horngren's Observation:
>                    Among economists, the real world is often a special case.

/  ola at inguza.com                    Annebergsslingan 37        \
|  opal at debian.org                   654 65 KARLSTAD            |
|  http://inguza.com/                Mobile: +46 (0)70-332 1551 |
\  gpg/f.p.: 7090 A92B 18FE 7994 0C36 4FE4 18A1 B1CF 0FE5 3DD9  /