[Debian] Re: Possible support for openvz also in the next version of stable

Ben Hutchings ben at decadent.org.uk
Fri Jan 27 10:58:02 EST 2012

On Thu, 2012-01-26 at 02:35 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> I thought we had declared both OpenVZ and VServer as deprecated in
> squeeze, but I misremembered - in fact only VServer was deprecated.
> Therefore I think we need to make a decision regarding OpenVZ in wheezy,
> fairly soon; then, if we do not reinstate it, we must announce that
> decision.
[...]

Sorry, my original memory was correct.  At the team meeting in 2009 we
did not decide to deprecate OpenVZ, but later on we did so.  This was
stated in the release notes for 'squeeze':

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#deprecated

Therefore, I would say there is no chance of OpenVZ being reinstated in
a Debian stable release.

My offer of help in setting up an OpenVZ APT repository still stands.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Horngren's Observation: