[Debian] Re: Possible support for openvz also in the next version of stable

Ben Hutchings ben at decadent.org.uk
Sat Jan 28 00:19:40 EST 2012

On Fri, 2012-01-27 at 18:23 +0100, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
[...]
> > My offer of help in setting up an OpenVZ APT repository still stands.
>
> I thank a lot for that offer. Where would we have that repository in that
> case? The openvz project have a (debarchiver based) repository at
> http://ftp.openvz.org/debian. It is only for etch but can easily be changed
> to include later versions. It was set up for how it was at the time when
> there were no Debian maintained kernels with openvz patches.
>
> The best (from an user trust point of view I guess) would be that we have
> the repository somewhere on the debian machines, but there is no problem to
> keep having a repository in the openvz ftp.

It probably could not be hosted by Debian, but as a DD you should be
able to allocate a domain under debian.net for this purpose.

> I have no problem to help you with the maintenance of such a
> repository (I guess).

I am only offering to help you and the OpenVZ project get started with
this.  If no-one is prepared to be a primary maintainer for such a
repository then this surely isn't going to work.

> The repository would most likely include the "alienized" rhel6 versions
> of the kernel. I guess such packages can not be included in the main
> repository. Or would that be an option?

No, they would not comply with Debian packaging policy or have security
support from Debian.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
If you seem to know what you are doing, you'll be given more to do.