[Debian] Re: Possible support for openvz also in the next version of stable

Steven Chamberlain steven at pyro.eu.org
Sun Feb 12 20:06:00 EST 2012

On 06/02/12 11:52, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> If you are able to try out rhel kernel on your machines with root on lvm
> on mdraid (and/or cryptfs) it would be very good to know that resylts.
> I'll let you know when I have been able to test it out.

Hi Ola,

I'm running the 2.6.32-042stab049.6 kernel now, in place of Debian's
2.6.32-5-openvz-amd64.  Everything was fine!

I produced a .deb using 'alien --to-deb --scripts', which installs files
into the correct locations, and invokes update-initramfs and update-grub
automatically.  Even with a targetted (MODULES=dep) initramfs,
everything necessary was included, including the /etc/crypttab and
'askpass' script for dm-crypt, so it asks for the passphrase on the
console as usual when booting.  Then it mounts the root and other
(reiserfs) filesystems from the LVM partitions and boots normally.

The necessary kernel modules exist for all my hardware, iptables,
ip6tables, network bridge and 802.11q VLAN tagging to work as before.

The only difference I've noticed so far, is that the output of 'init'
from the startup of *all* VEs is displayed on the host's console, which
didn't happen in Debian kernels.  So, startup is very 'noisy' now, but
this means I can see issues during startup of some VEs that I wasn't
aware of until now.

Also the CONFIG_HZ setting of this kernel is 1000 instead of Debian's
default 250Hz.  This might affect 'tc' traffic shaping, and could
increase power consumption slightly, but this will become clearer to me
over the next few days.  Meanwhile I'm checking that everything is
stable and if performance remains the same as before.

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain
steven at pyro.eu.org