[Debian] Re: Possible support for openvz also in the next version of stable

Ola Lundqvist ola at inguza.com
Mon Feb 13 14:07:55 EST 2012

Hi Steven

This is good news! With this I'll prepare .deb packages and upload
them to ftp.openvz.org and also update the vzctl package with instructions.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Best regards,

// Ola

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 01:06:00AM +0000, Steven Chamberlain wrote:
> On 06/02/12 11:52, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> > If you are able to try out rhel kernel on your machines with root on lvm
> > on mdraid (and/or cryptfs) it would be very good to know that resylts.
> > I'll let you know when I have been able to test it out.
>
> Hi Ola,
>
> I'm running the 2.6.32-042stab049.6 kernel now, in place of Debian's
> 2.6.32-5-openvz-amd64.  Everything was fine!
>
> I produced a .deb using 'alien --to-deb --scripts', which installs files
> into the correct locations, and invokes update-initramfs and update-grub
> automatically.  Even with a targetted (MODULES=dep) initramfs,
> everything necessary was included, including the /etc/crypttab and
> 'askpass' script for dm-crypt, so it asks for the passphrase on the
> console as usual when booting.  Then it mounts the root and other
> (reiserfs) filesystems from the LVM partitions and boots normally.
>
> The necessary kernel modules exist for all my hardware, iptables,
> ip6tables, network bridge and 802.11q VLAN tagging to work as before.
>
> The only difference I've noticed so far, is that the output of 'init'
> from the startup of *all* VEs is displayed on the host's console, which
> didn't happen in Debian kernels.  So, startup is very 'noisy' now, but
> this means I can see issues during startup of some VEs that I wasn't
> aware of until now.
>
> Also the CONFIG_HZ setting of this kernel is 1000 instead of Debian's
> default 250Hz.  This might affect 'tc' traffic shaping, and could
> increase power consumption slightly, but this will become clearer to me
> over the next few days.  Meanwhile I'm checking that everything is
> stable and if performance remains the same as before.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Steven Chamberlain
> steven at pyro.eu.org

/  ola at inguza.com                    Annebergsslingan 37        \
|  opal at debian.org                   654 65 KARLSTAD            |
|  http://inguza.com/                Mobile: +46 (0)70-332 1551 |
\  gpg/f.p.: 7090 A92B 18FE 7994 0C36 4FE4 18A1 B1CF 0FE5 3DD9  /