[Debian] Re: Possible support for openvz also in the next version of stable

Ola Lundqvist ola at inguza.com
Mon Feb 6 06:52:35 EST 2012

Hi

If you are able to try out rhel kernel on your machines with root on
lvm on mdraid (and/or cryptfs) it would be very good to know that
resylts. I'll let you know when I have been able to test it out.

Best regards,

// Ola

Quoting Steven Chamberlain <steven at pyro.eu.org>:
> Hi,
>
>> It will be rhel kernels in deb format. I'm going to test out some
>> aspects to see what kind of obstacles we can face.
>
> Maybe I should try these too...
>
> I'm really undecided what to do with my current OpenVZ installations.
>
> My machines are old amd64 without CPU virtualisation capabilities, which
> rules out KVM.  That also means Qemu, VirtualBox etc. would be too slow,
> and wasteful of resources by running a separate instance of the kernel
> for each guest.  I think Xen would be awkward for the same reason,
> though I'm keeping it in mind as an option.
>
> The shared kernel between guests is openvz's particular strength.  I'm
> under the impression that LXC doesn't yet provide the isolation of
> superuser privileges (due to procfs?) that I need.
>

> Also I still suffer from issues in 2.6.32 (and 2.6.26) on my main
> production box that I haven't been able to reproduce on any spare
> machine;  I haven't been able to test for these problems in Debian 3.x
> kernels due to the lack of openvz, so the best I can do is probably try
> one of these rhel kernels.
>

> In the long term maybe openvz will come back for the next Debian release
> after Wheezy (then maybe in Wheezy backports), or maybe LXC will get the
> extra features I need.  Or perhaps by then I can afford shiny new
> hardware with CPU support for virtualisation. :)
>
>> I'm running root system on lvm on cryptfs..
>
> Same here, I run these on top of mdraid.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Steven Chamberlain
> steven at pyro.eu.org

/  ola at inguza.com                    Annebergsslingan 37        \
|  opal at debian.org                   654 65 KARLSTAD            |
|  http://inguza.com/                Mobile: +46 (0)70-332 1551 |
\  gpg/f.p.: 7090 A92B 18FE 7994 0C36 4FE4 18A1 B1CF 0FE5 3DD9  /