[CRIU] GSoC 2019 application

Radostin Stoyanov rstoyanov1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 20:58:40 MSK 2019

Hello Harsha,

On 06/03/2019 10:29, Harshavardhan Unnibhavi wrote:
> Hello,
> I am Harshavardhan Unnibhavi, an undergrad student from India. I am
> interested in contributing to CRIU as part of GSoC 2019. I am
> interested in the project on Optimizing the pre-dump algorithm. I have
> gone through the codebase and the links in the project description,
> and have pretty much understood the current working of the pre-dump
> algorithm.

It is great to see that you are interested in contributing to CRIU.

> I have a few questions regarding the process for GSoC:
> 1) What is the process for selection into CRIU?
The student selection process is very much similar to the standard
specified in the GSoC guidelines:

https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/selecting-a-student.html

The most important part is your proposal.

https://criu.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_Student_Application

There you should explain why you are interested in this project, how do
you plan to implement it, and provide some information about your
background and skills.

> 2) Are previous contributions necessary to get selected into CRIU as
> part of GSoC?
We ask the students to have a small upstream contribution, but this is
only as a proof that you know how to clone and build CRIU, as well as
send patches or create GitHub pull requests.

https://criu.org/Google_Summer_of_Code

> 3) What are skills apart from C, are necessary for the project?
Understanding how CRIU works is an important preparation step to work on
the project. However, we do understand the complexity of the project and
the limited amount of time that contributors could invest. Thus,
reviewing the wiki pages in the "Under the hood" category might be useful.

https://criu.org/Category:Under_the_hood

Please let us know If you have any other questions.

Best wishes,
Radostin