[CRIU] GSoC 2019 application

Pavel Emelianov xemul at virtuozzo.com
Wed Mar 6 22:00:05 MSK 2019

Thank you, Radostin :) A few words from my side, inline.

>> 2) Are previous contributions necessary to get selected into CRIU as
>> part of GSoC?
> We ask the students to have a small upstream contribution, but this is
> only as a proof that you know how to clone and build CRIU, as well as
> send patches or create GitHub pull requests.
>
> https://criu.org/Google_Summer_of_Code

Yes, previous contributions are not a 'must have', but additional
benefit. If you haven't played with criu previously a quick start
up guide is https://criu.org/GSoC_Students_Recommendations

>> 3) What are skills apart from C, are necessary for the project?
> Understanding how CRIU works is an important preparation step to work on
> the project. However, we do understand the complexity of the project and
> the limited amount of time that contributors could invest. Thus,
> reviewing the wiki pages in the "Under the hood" category might be useful.
>
> https://criu.org/Category:Under_the_hood

Absolutely. I'd also add that knowing Linux API is often needed
badly. In particular, if choosing the 'optimizing the pre-dump'
task, one would need to get familiar with Linux mm API including
mmap(7), contents of the /proc/{pid}/maps and pagemap.