[CRIU] github pull-requests

Radostin Stoyanov rstoyanov1 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 18:35:43 MSK 2018

On 20/11/2018 14:43, Pavel Emelianov wrote:
> On 11/20/2018 11:22 AM, Andrei Vagin wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On the Linux Plumbers Conference, I heard a few requests to start
>> accepting github pull-requests. Then we discussed this on the first
>> official criu hackathon and it looks like there were no objections. I
>> know that many of you were not able to be there, so I decided to start
>> this thread where you can share thoughts about the subject.
>>
>> Pros:
>> * It is easier to create a pull-requests than send a patch. Stop,
>> stop, stop. Don't laugh. You did this many times, but for a new
>> contributor, it is a real problem.
>> * We can remove all our machinery, what is used validate patches.
> Why? Patches validation is crucial, it should not be removed but rather
> be integrated into PR validation. There's integration with travis tests,
> but AFAIR full validation that's run over ML patches is much bigger
> than the travis one.
>
>> Cons:
>> * The standard workflow is changed for people who read patches in the
>> mailing list.
>> * No multi-thread discussions

>> Questions:
>> 1. Should we start accepting github pull requests?
>> 2. Should we stop accepting patches from a mailing list?
>> 3. Can we do both?
>> 4. Which path should be a preferred one?
>> 5. Do we need a robot which will send github pull-requests into the
>> mailing list?
>> https://github.com/google/pull-request-mailer
>> 6. Do we need a robot which will create github pull-requests from patch series?
>> 7. Should we sync comments between the mailing list and github?
> I see e-mail notifications coming from github on PRs. I've never tried to
> respond on any of it :) Isn't it supposed to work "out of the box"?
I also see these email notifications and yes replies to these notifications
will be displayed in GitHub:

https://blog.github.com/2011-03-10-reply-to-comments-from-email/

>> 8. Who wants to implement 5., 6. and 7.?
>>
>> My answers:
>> 1. yes
>> 2. no
>> 3. yes
> Doing both looks like a challenging experiment :)
In the virt-manager project most of the discussion and patches are being
sent to the (virt-tools) mailing list
but pull requests are also accepted via GitHub as well.

The way Cole Robinson handles this is by closing (rather than merging)
the GitHub pull requests and pushing
the commits manually. It seems to work OK for now and I think that, if
we want, we could do the same for CRIU.

Radostin