[CRIU] github pull-requests

Pavel Emelianov xemul at virtuozzo.com
Tue Nov 20 20:31:23 MSK 2018

>>> https://github.com/google/pull-request-mailer
>>> 6. Do we need a robot which will create github pull-requests from patch series?
>>> 7. Should we sync comments between the mailing list and github?
>> I see e-mail notifications coming from github on PRs. I've never tried to
>> respond on any of it :) Isn't it supposed to work "out of the box"?
> I also see these email notifications and yes replies to these notifications
> will be displayed in GitHub:
>
> https://blog.github.com/2011-03-10-reply-to-comments-from-email/

That's good news, as the item 7 is half-done :D

>>> 8. Who wants to implement 5., 6. and 7.?
>>>
>>> My answers:
>>> 1. yes
>>> 2. no
>>> 3. yes
>> Doing both looks like a challenging experiment :)
> In the virt-manager project most of the discussion and patches are being
> sent to the (virt-tools) mailing list
> but pull requests are also accepted via GitHub as well.
>
> The way Cole Robinson handles this is by closing (rather than merging)
> the GitHub pull requests and pushing
> the commits manually. It seems to work OK for now and I think that, if
> we want, we could do the same for CRIU.

I think that would be an overkill for CRIU, if the PR merges well, it can be just
merged. Two things bother me in this scheme:

1. Will PRs get validated the same way as patches-over-ML are?
2. How to attract the attention of people preferring (and sitting in) the
   mailing lists to the submitted PRs for review?

Apparently doing items 5 through 7 will solve this, but I don't know how
complex this task will be.

BTW, even if we decide to stop playing with ML and switching to PRs the validation
question would still stand. Andrey, can you shed some light on this?