[CRIU] github pull-requests

Pavel Emelianov xemul at virtuozzo.com
Tue Nov 20 17:43:43 MSK 2018

On 11/20/2018 11:22 AM, Andrei Vagin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On the Linux Plumbers Conference, I heard a few requests to start
> accepting github pull-requests. Then we discussed this on the first
> official criu hackathon and it looks like there were no objections. I
> know that many of you were not able to be there, so I decided to start
> this thread where you can share thoughts about the subject.
>
> Pros:
> * It is easier to create a pull-requests than send a patch. Stop,
> stop, stop. Don't laugh. You did this many times, but for a new
> contributor, it is a real problem.
> * We can remove all our machinery, what is used validate patches.

Why? Patches validation is crucial, it should not be removed but rather
be integrated into PR validation. There's integration with travis tests,
but AFAIR full validation that's run over ML patches is much bigger
than the travis one.

> Cons:
> * The standard workflow is changed for people who read patches in the
> mailing list.
> * No multi-thread discussions

> Questions:
> 1. Should we start accepting github pull requests?
> 2. Should we stop accepting patches from a mailing list?
> 3. Can we do both?
> 4. Which path should be a preferred one?
> 5. Do we need a robot which will send github pull-requests into the
> mailing list?
> https://github.com/google/pull-request-mailer
> 6. Do we need a robot which will create github pull-requests from patch series?
> 7. Should we sync comments between the mailing list and github?

I see e-mail notifications coming from github on PRs. I've never tried to
respond on any of it :) Isn't it supposed to work "out of the box"?

> 8. Who wants to implement 5., 6. and 7.?
>
> My answers:
> 1. yes
> 2. no
> 3. yes

Doing both looks like a challenging experiment :)