[CRIU] Dumping a 32-bit process on aarch64 kernel

Dmitry Safonov 0x7f454c46 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 20:50:36 MSK 2017

>> On Tue, Dec 05, 2017 at 07:42:46AM -0500, Rayson Ho wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is dumping of 32-bit processes supported on the aarch64 kernel (64-bit
>>> ARM)? It does not work for me, and I am looking at the failure...
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> We don't support 32-bit processes on aarch64 right now. I think Dima can tell
>> more details about this.
>
> Yes, the 32-bit on aarch64 are not supported ATM.
> It needs a few kernel patches for vdso at least, at most - compatible
> application
> on aarch64 have not only different instruction set, AFAIR, but also different
> exception levels.
> So, I think there would be some amount of work to-do in the kernel, it
> looks like
> more than weekend patching.
>
> If you're interested, you may continue this thread and we will try to help you
> at least with answers and code-review.

But it might be complicated. Not in the technical sense, but in "political".
Even x86 folks where not very excited about the way ia32 applications
are being restored (from inside a native x86_64 tasks).
The same will be with arm folks. And they know/interested in CRIU
much lesser that x86, where I had to "push" the work.
So, this may take time.

--
             Dmitry