[Users] New setup - deploy OpenVZ or wait for VZ7?

Corrado Fiore lists at corradofiore.it
Fri Jun 3 20:10:21 PDT 2016


Wow.  Thanks to everyone for sharing their suggestions and thanks to Sergey and Vladimir for chiming in and bringing insiders' knowledge to this thread  ;-)

In our particular use case, we've decided to go like this:

 • deploy the beta versions for the new setup
 • make sure that they work in our intended setup
 • contribute bug reports, testing, etc. to the final version
 • deploy the stable VZ7 in production

Also Spameden's suggestion is sound:  newer hardware calls for more recent kernels.

At the end of the day, we just have to continue what we're doing:  in fact, some bug reports do not carry my name specifically but come from our team  :-)

Best,
Corrado Fiore

___________________________________________
> On 4 Jun 2016, at 1:30 AM, jjs - mainphrame <jjs at mainphrame.com> wrote:
> 
> Greetings -
> 
> Based on our experience with OVZ 7 over the past several months, it's
> already good enough for our needs, where OVZ 7 CTs have been handling
> smtp, pop3/imap, spam/virus scanning for several domains, database,
> dns and build host duties with very few issues, and those issues that
> have occurred, have had easy workarounds. we do have some redundancy
> in the form of multiple CTs on separate hosts, and round robin DNS
> entries to eliminate single points of failure, but that's just good
> practice.
> 
> YMMV of course, we're only using containers and not VMs, and certainly
> a Fortune 100 company would want to move much more slowly and
> cautiously than we have.
> 
> Jake
> 
> 
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 12:40 AM, Corrado Fiore <lists at corradofiore.it> wrote:
>> Dear All,
>> 
>> we need to prepare a new setup composed of a few nodes (probably 5) for August this year.
>> 
>> If I interpreted the wii page correctly, the next VZ7 release will be a stable one.  As you can imagine, we're very tempted to wait for it instead of deploying on OpenVZ and then migrating everything some months later.
>> 
>> The only problem is... we have no idea at all about the actual planned release date.
>> 
>> Can anyone shed some light on this?  Even knowing the quarter (say, Q3 vs Q4) would be of great help to us.
>> 
>> (Disclaimer:  I realise there are many factors involved, that stability comes at a price of a long(er) development time and I'm not asking for any commitment to an actual date.  Just a few hints on 'how close we are' would be more than enough :-)
>> 
>> Thanks a lot,
>> Corrado Fiore
>> _______________________________________________
>> Users mailing list
>> Users at openvz.org
>> https://lists.openvz.org/mailman/listinfo/users
> _______________________________________________
> Users mailing list
> Users at openvz.org
> https://lists.openvz.org/mailman/listinfo/users




More information about the Users mailing list