[Users] New setup - deploy OpenVZ or wait for VZ7?

jjs - mainphrame jjs at mainphrame.com
Fri Jun 3 10:30:18 PDT 2016


Greetings -

Based on our experience with OVZ 7 over the past several months, it's
already good enough for our needs, where OVZ 7 CTs have been handling
smtp, pop3/imap, spam/virus scanning for several domains, database,
dns and build host duties with very few issues, and those issues that
have occurred, have had easy workarounds. we do have some redundancy
in the form of multiple CTs on separate hosts, and round robin DNS
entries to eliminate single points of failure, but that's just good
practice.

YMMV of course, we're only using containers and not VMs, and certainly
a Fortune 100 company would want to move much more slowly and
cautiously than we have.

Jake


On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 12:40 AM, Corrado Fiore <lists at corradofiore.it> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> we need to prepare a new setup composed of a few nodes (probably 5) for August this year.
>
> If I interpreted the wii page correctly, the next VZ7 release will be a stable one.  As you can imagine, we're very tempted to wait for it instead of deploying on OpenVZ and then migrating everything some months later.
>
> The only problem is... we have no idea at all about the actual planned release date.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on this?  Even knowing the quarter (say, Q3 vs Q4) would be of great help to us.
>
> (Disclaimer:  I realise there are many factors involved, that stability comes at a price of a long(er) development time and I'm not asking for any commitment to an actual date.  Just a few hints on 'how close we are' would be more than enough :-)
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Corrado Fiore
> _______________________________________________
> Users mailing list
> Users at openvz.org
> https://lists.openvz.org/mailman/listinfo/users


More information about the Users mailing list