[Users] Another reason I use openvz

Jehan PROCACCIA jehan.procaccia at imtbs-tsp.eu
Fri Apr 21 10:22:39 MSK 2023

I agree, my CTs (OVZ 7) run also very well and the full feature and fine tune of ressources permitted by openvz compared to lxc seems very good to me ,
still I am suprised how openvz/virtuozzo looks like an old technology in our sysadmins community
most of them took the curve to lxc when proxmox decided to replace its CT from openvz to lxc, so people are refereing to openvz (6) as beeing an old technolgy back in the days ...
when I talk about virtuozzo and tell people that it is based on modern openvz (7 and hopefully soon 9) , no one knows of it ,
is it a lake of communication ? or I am confusing the status of virtuozzo? I take this for granted from my own experience runing several virtuozzo (unlicenced) servers/hypervisors,
and for the sake of supporting the compagny I keep buy very few licenced servers (although we are not host provider, just a public academic school)
regarding communication I think I am not mistaking by refring to :

[ https://docs.virtuozzo.com/virtuozzo_hybrid_server_7_users_guide/learning-basics/vhs-vs-openvz.html | https://docs.virtuozzo.com/virtuozzo_hybrid_server_7_users_guide/learning-basics/vhs-vs-openvz.html ]

extract :

[ https://openvz.org/ | OpenVZ ] is a free, open-source virtualization solution available under GNU GPL. OpenVZ is the base for Virtuozzo Hybrid Server , the commercial solution that builds on OpenVZ and offers additional benefits to customers.

so if openVZ is the base of VHS , I guess that it is still up2date and the opensource community be able to continue to test and use it !

[ https://www.virtuozzo.com/company/open-source/ | https://www.virtuozzo.com/company/open-source/ ]

I think this great product deserve more consideration in our OSS community , and probabably that having OVZ9 running and validated by the OSS community might help this projet to overcome .

Jehan .