[Users] Ploop Incremental backups strategy

tranxene50 tranxene50 at openvz-diff-backups.fr
Wed Sep 9 02:02:17 MSK 2020

Hello!

Please forgive my bad English, I live in France.

A few years ago, as a hobby in the beginning, I created a file based
"incremental" backup tool (that heavily relies on rsync) :
https://www.openvz-diff-backups.fr

It works flawlessly with OpenVZ 6 but only have been rapidly tested with
OpenVZ 7.

The main difference between OpenVZ 6 and 7 is that memory dump
(checkpoint) is now done using CRIU instead of OpenVZ "Legacy" kernel.

But,  globally, the process is still the same: create a ploop snapshot,
mount it, sync it (with rsync) and then create a "diff" backup (using
rsync again with --link-dest).

As far as I know, this is one of the rarest GPL tools (any hint
appreciated!) able to backup/restore CT files and, most importantly,
full memory state.

Restoring a "live" backup is like resuming an OS (Windows, Linux, MacOS,
etc) after it had been put to sleep: the container will resume and works
again, just like nothing had happen.

So you can cheat and pretend 100% uptime even if a container was down
most of the time... (evidently this a joke and, please, do not play at
this game: /var/log/* will betray you)

Note: to migrate CT between OpenVZ 6 and 7, you must use "cold" backups
because memory dumps are incompatible (OpenVZ Kernel vs CRIU).

To answer your questions:

1) you can restore any previous backup because each one is considered as
a full backup (no diff/incremental computing: it is just
files/directories/other - and hard links)

2) because backups are just a bunch of files (and mostly hard links),
you can easily browse any backup of a CT and copy any files/directories
needed

At the moment, development of openvz-diff-backups is on pause - because
it fulfills all my needs with OpenVZ 6 - but I am in the process of
moving to OpenVZ 7 in a few months.

So, if you encounter a bug or an issue, please leave me a message: the
tool has a very conservative approach and is designed to cleanly stop if
anything unexpected/unknown/abnormal happens.

Have a nice day!