[Users] root.hds size issue

Konstantin Bukharov bkb at virtuozzo.com
Mon May 25 10:38:48 MSK 2020

Hello all,

Another option is to call ploop balloon discard directly.

>From 'man ploop':

   balloon discard

       In a situation when a lot of disk space were freed on an in-ploop filesystem, use ploop balloon discard to optimize the ploop image size.

       ploop balloon discard [--automount] [--to-free size] [--min-block min_size] [--defrag] DiskDescriptor.xml

       Iteratively try to relocate and discard unused blocks from a ploop image, reducing its size.

       Note that ploop device and its inner file system should be mounted.  If not, one can use --automount option to automatically mount ploop for the duration
       of the operation.

       Option --defrag can be used to run a filesystem defragmentation utility (currently e4defrag2 on ext4 only) before the main operation.

       Option --to-free can be used to specify a maximum disk space to be freed. In other words, stop the process once  freed  space  exceeded  requested  size.
       Default is 0, meaning to try to free as much space as possible.

       Option  --min-block can be used to specify a minimum size of an extent to free. The smallest possible extent is 1 cluster (currently 1 MB), one can spec‐
       ify higher value to speed up the whole discarding operation.

       Note that the same functionality is available by means of vzctl compact command.

Best regards,
Konstantin