[Users] strange permission issue on migration

Paulo Coghi - Coghi IT paulocoghi at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 20:08:06 MSK 2020

It could be that those containers contains specific file types that are
presenting problems when vzmigrate is operating the rsync command.

I see two possible workarounds/solutions.

*First:*
Execute the rsync yourself manually (without vzmigrate), and register the
container on the new host after migration, with "prlctl register
/vz/private/<container_id>". Use the following flags:

rsync -az -H -X --one-file-system --numeric-ids /vz/private/123456/ -e ssh
root@<server_hostname_or_ip>:/vz/private/123456/

The "-H" flag preserves hard-links and "-X" preserves extended attributes.
The "z" on "-az" is optional, to compress the data during transfer.

*Second:*
Compress the container's private directory to generate a .tar(.gz) file,
and transfer it. Use the -p flag to preserve owners when creating the
.tar(.gz) and --same-owner when extracting it on the new host:

tar -zcpf 12345.tar.gz /vz/private/12345

The "z" is to generate a /tar.gz instead of a .tar. Generating a .tar is
much faster, but occupying more space. Generating a .tar.gz is slower, but
it occupies less space and is faster to transfer.

Please do a test and provide a feedback!

Paulo Coghi