[Users] X86_BUG_CPU_INSECURE

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 12:42:27 MSK 2018

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 4:19 AM, Narcis Garcia <informatica at actiu.net> wrote:
> As I understand from dasunsrule32's post, affected CPUs show a flag
> X86_BUG_CPU_INSECURE (?!).
> Does this mean that Intel is distributing CPUs marking them as
> defective?! ...or is this flag from kernel detection?
>
> + Is somebody listing fixed CPU models?
>
> Note: I suppose neither OpenVZ 6 nor LXC are affected by this hardware bug.

As I understand things, it affects Intel processors. AMD processors
are safe, as are other architectures like Aarch64 and SPARC64.

Also see https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/ :

<QUOTE>
... In an email to the Linux kernel mailing list over Christmas, AMD
said it is not affected. The wording of that message, though, rather
gives the game away as to what the underlying cockup is:

AMD processors are not subject to the types of attacks that the kernel
page table isolation feature protects against. The AMD
microarchitecture does not allow memory references, including
speculative references, that access higher privileged data when
running in a lesser privileged mode when that access would result in a
page fault.
</QUOTE>

Jeff