[Users] Backups on OpenVZ 7

José Manuel Giner jm at ginernet.com
Tue Sep 6 10:56:34 PDT 2016

On 06/09/2016 19:26, Scott Dowdle wrote:
> I think the backup feature is going to be a Virtuozzo 7-only (aka pay) feature per this comparison chart on the wiki:
>
> https://wiki.openvz.org/Comparison
>
> That doesn't mean you can't backup containers and VM with various methods, just that it won't be integrated solution in OpenVZ.  That's my guess anyway.  I've been backing up containers with OpenVZ Legacy using a ploop-based snapshot method and can report that it is not difficult... just slightly different in VZ7 for containers and VMs.

Will be interesting if we can buy this package.

We are some days working on a solution to automate VPS creations using
#vz7 integration, and when we have started with the backup
implementation we have found this issue.

It's very frustrating to know that OpenVZ have removed the vzdump tool
without any other alternative.

How anybody will implement OpenVZ if there is no backup options for the
CTs/VMs?

Please, can you explain your method? how to make a tar with the snapshot
+ filesystem VM/CT and how to restore it?

--
José Manuel Giner
http://ginernet.com