[Users] New setup - deploy OpenVZ or wait for VZ7?

Volker Janzen voja at voja.de
Tue Jun 7 01:50:42 PDT 2016

Hi,

there are arguments for using a single / own distribution or supporting many different onces. It's up to the project what they want to support. When they use there own distro, it's up to them how to handle major changes e.g. switching init system, introducing new major releases of required tools.

Seeing there is a script to get started from CentOS will ease usage. It should be easy to fire up a new host with CentOS then run the script to have vzlinux installed.

Concern may rise, if there are issues with the custom distribution. From what has been written on the mailing list, the changes are related to VZ7 itself. It will be interesting to see if stuff like EPEL will still work, to allow installation of nagios and it's plugins. And of course how fast security related errors are fixed. We have to wait to see how this works. Will there be an commercial and open source user repository or will there be only one? We'll see.

Regards,
    Volker