[Users] New setup - deploy OpenVZ or wait for VZ7?

Sergey Bronnikov sergeyb at openvz.org
Mon Jun 6 06:33:25 PDT 2016

On 13:23 Mon 06 Jun , Volker Janzen wrote:
> Hi Sergey,

> >> When I use a CentOS 7 as base system and install VZ7 afterward it's not possible to upgrade, too?
> >
> > There is only one supported configuration for new installations -
> > clean Virtuozzo 7 installation.
>
> okay I see. My setup will be unsupported if installed on plain CentOS 7 either way.

I forgot to mention one important thing in my previous answer. As you know
Virtuozzo 7 based on VzLinux distribution. VzLinux is a Linux distribution similar
to CentOS but it is not the same. VzLinux is not just rebuilded RPM packages
from CentOS. Some RPM packages in VzLinux contains fixes or changes specific to
Virtuozzo which are absent in RHEL/CentOS.

Just for example:
- we don't use stock rsync, it includes implementation of additional option which makes
container live migration possible.
- vzprocps packages are stock ps/top utilities with our patches to support containers monitoring
- AFAIK we have patches in gparted package
and so on.
- Virtuozzo contains the package ext4defrag required to working with ploop images

If you have time to fight with troubles which may happen in Vz installed on top of CentOS
or any other RPM based Linux distribution - it is your choice.

Please understand me correctly, we don't want to support a variety of all Linux zoo.
It requires much more time of development, testing and support.