[Users] New setup - deploy OpenVZ or wait for VZ7?

Volker Janzen voja at voja.de
Mon Jun 6 04:23:14 PDT 2016

Hi Sergey,

> On 14:39 Sun 05 Jun , Volker Janzen wrote:
>>>
>>> Unfortunately no. We don't support upgrade from pre-release version to the final one.
>>
>> When I use a CentOS 7 as base system and install VZ7 afterward it's not possible to upgrade, too?
>
> There is only one supported configuration for new installations -
> clean Virtuozzo 7 installation.

okay I see. My setup will be unsupported if installed on plain CentOS 7 either way.

>>> What usecases are you talking about?
>>
>> My current OpenVZ setup has LVM involved.
>> I want to be able to use simfs based storage on an underlaying LVM volume.
>
> Why do you prefer simfs instead of ploop? Did you see comparison simfs vs ploop?
> https://openvz.org/CT_storage_backends

I think you asked me about this some time ago. The matrix states: Reliability
Low: big amount of files produce ext4 corruption so often

Why should I use something that tells me it's not reliable?

The /vz partition has also the big advantage of using LVM snapshots and it allows rsync of the container data to another host with less overhead.

Also the need to compress the ploop files does not seem to be something I'm willing to do.

Regards
   Volker