[Users] New setup - deploy OpenVZ or wait for VZ7?

spameden spameden at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 07:28:43 PDT 2016

> We still deploy OpenVZ/6 because we use Debian repositories.
> Our needings are covered with "oldstable" at all.
> I have no information about OpenVZ/7 binary repositories for Debian.
>

> El 03/06/16 a les 09:40, Corrado Fiore ha escrit:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > we need to prepare a new setup composed of a few nodes (probably 5) for
> August this year.
> >
> > If I interpreted the wii page correctly, the next VZ7 release will be a
> stable one.  As you can imagine, we're very tempted to wait for it instead
> of deploying on OpenVZ and then migrating everything some months later.
> >
> > The only problem is... we have no idea at all about the actual planned
> release date.
> >
> > Can anyone shed some light on this?  Even knowing the quarter (say, Q3
> vs Q4) would be of great help to us.

It really depends on your hardware.

If you're using modern hardware I'd not recommend using CentOS 6/Debian
Wheezy (OpenVZ old kernel).

VZ7 is still in beta, so using it in production is very risky.

Also, if you're using dm-crypt with Full Disk Encryption there might be a
slowdown with 2.6.32 kernel because it doesn't support TRIM for encrypted
devices.

I've been using myself OpenVZ for number of years and really don't like
specific kernel binding (e.g. for OpenVZ 2.6.32 rhel6 and for VZ7 3.10
rhel7).

The only alternative for modern hardware (e.g. NVME PCI-E ssds or some
modern SSDs) is to use upstream distro kernel with LXC/KVM.