[Users] OVZ 7 beta - capabilities problem in centos 7 container

jjs - mainphrame jjs at mainphrame.com
Thu Jan 14 11:24:45 PST 2016

Greetings,

I recently attempted to upgrade some packages in an OVZ 7 Centos 7
container.

I did not succeed; here is the relevant snippet:

Running transaction test
Transaction test succeeded
Running transaction
  Updating   : iputils-20121221-7.el7.x86_64
 1/4
Error unpacking rpm package iputils-20121221-7.el7.x86_64
error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/bin/ping: cpio: cap_set_file
error: iputils-20121221-7.el7.x86_64: install failed

Attempts to set the capabilities for the container resulted in this message:

[root at hachi ~]# vzctl set 1111 --capability cap_set_file:on --save
Warning: The --capability option is deprecated

In any case, the yum operation continues to fail

How might I proceed in troubleshooting this? A peek at the openvz bug
tracker seems to indicate this was fixed long ago, but here we are. Any
advice welcome

Regards,