[Users] [TRD] LVM support in prl_disk_tool

Maxim Perevedentsev mperevedentsev at virtuozzo.com
Tue Feb 9 05:02:35 PST 2016

*1. Feature

*LVM support in prl_disk_tool

*2. Description*

The /prl_disk_too//l/ utility now can resize/compact images containing LVM.

/prl_disk_tool resize --resize_partition/ now expands/shrinks partition,
PV, LV and filesystem on last partition.
The chosen LV is one which segment is the last in PV layout (e.g.
displayed by /pvresize -m/).
LVM on logical partitions is also supported.

As before, you will need
/libguestfs-winsupport/ for last ntfs partition/LV
/libguestfs-xfs /for last xfs partition/LV
/btrfs-progs /for last btrfs partition/LV

To get the lvm information, we parse the output of /vgcfgbackup///(run
using libguestfs: guestfs_vgmeta)
using our script //usr/share/prl-disk-tool/lvm_parser.py

/Other work is performed using standard lvm utilities using libguestfs
(/pvresize, lvresize/).
LVM metadata size is estimated as 14336s (usually 512b -> 7168K = 7M) -
taken from previous version.

*3. Products*

Virtuozzo 7

Packages:*
*

  * prl-disk-tool >= 7.0.15
  * libguestfs >= 1.32.1
  * btrfs-progs >= 4.2 (optional)
  * libguestfs-winsupport >= 7.2.1 (optional)
  * libguestfs-xfs (in dependencies)
  * qemu-img >= 1.5.3-86

*4. Testing*

Need to test the following cases:/
/

  * /resize --resize_partition/ works for all supported filesystems
    (except ntfs - hopefully it is not the case) and MBR/GPT when last
    partition contains LVM PV
  * resize --info displays minimum size for LVM last partition (may be
    not minimum possible, see known issues)
  * /compact [--info] /works for LVM-containing images

*5. Known issues
*

Due to metadata estimation of 7M the minimum size displayed by /resize
--info /may be not minimum possible
(i.e. there may be one empty extent in the end of PV if metadata is
smaller than 3M and extent size is 4M)

--
Your sincerely,
Maxim Perevedentsev